It’s not uncommon for patients to admit they wish they practiced better teeth and mouth cleaning habits. People who have demanding jobs are sometimes the worst offenders in maintaining consistent healthy mouth habits. Because prevention is the key to a healthy mouth, we’ve compiled a handy list of suggestions for the busy professional. Here are a few helpful tips to follow:
- Keep a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and mouthwash in your desk drawer. Brush and floss your teeth after drinking a cup of coffee or enjoying a sugary beverage. The same advice goes for after eating lunch. Brushing and flossing your teeth at work is a great way to maintain a healthy mouth while also taking a mini break from your desk.
- Keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in your purse or laptop bag. Place everything in a zip lock bag to protect the contents from the elements. If your job requires you to attend off-site meetings, access to a dental care kit makes it easy to brush and floss on-the-go.
- Maintain your 6-month routine dental appointments. Having your teeth professionally cleaned is the most effective teeth cleaning you receive, so be sure to stay on schedule! If you’re due for your 6-month checkup and cleaning, schedule your appointment immediately.
- Don’t have time for oral care? Brush your teeth in the shower! Brushing during the shower ensures you step out all clean, including your mouth.
- Use dental flossers to floss your teeth whenever you like. Floss picks a.k.a. dental flossers are an inexpensive and an effective way to floss your teeth while on-the-go. Consider keeping them in your car or purse and floss your teeth on the way to a meeting or while stopped at a red light.
- Keep a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss and mouthwash in every bathroom of your house. This lends you the flexibility to brush, floss and rinse wherever you are in your home.
- Use a fluoride rinse right before you go to bed. After brushing and flossing before you retire for the evening, add a fluoride rinse to your routine. A nightly fluoride rinse helps to keep your teeth strong while also deterring cavities.
- Chew gum and enjoy mints containing Xylitol. Gum and candy with the sugar substitute Xylitol actually kill bacteria in the mouth following meals and beverages. It also pulls food particles off of the teeth and promotes saliva flow to help neutralize acids.
- Be mindful of what you eat. Choosing healthy snack choices help maintain a healthy mouth. You should opt for sliced fruit or vegetables instead of a sugary candy from a coworker’s desk or vending machine. Nuts are also a terrific snack choice too.
- Drink lots of water. Drinking water rinses your teeth, eliminating bacteria and promotes a healthy mouth.
- Brush your teeth often. Go ahead, whenever you find time, brush away! As long as you use a soft bristle toothbrush, you really can’t be brushing too often.
Maintaining a healthy mouth is easy-to-do when you implement these tips. If it’s been over 6 months since your last teeth cleaning, contact your dentist to schedule your appointment as soon as possible!
If you have any questions about oral care tips for a busy professional, call Winning Smiles to schedule an appointment with your dentist – 716-332-2444.