Veneers are shells of tooth-colored porcelain or composite resin that are customized for each patient to provide a natural look. Typically, veneers are used as a cosmetic fix for everything from teeth that are chipped or stained to misaligned or have spaces.
Are You a Candidate?
If you have any of the issues above and think you may be a candidate for veneers, you definitely should talk to your Winning Smiles dentist as each person varies in what treatment is best for them and only your dentist can determine that. Note that if you have gum decay or disease, tooth decay, or issues with a root canal, veneers are most likely not a good option for you.
During an initial consultation, your dentist will discuss and look at a few different things. One is the permanency of the procedure; the way that the tooth has to be prepped is irreversible. For this reason, your dentist may discuss other options available to treat the issue. Second, if you decide to proceed with veneers, your dentist will discuss your preferred size, shape, and color of teeth.
The procedure is multi-stepped:
- First, if traditional veneers are chosen, the dentist will remove a small layer of the enamel.
- Second, the dentist will take dental impressions, usually by placing soft putty in a tray and allowing it to harden around the teeth. Alternatively, some dentists may use technology that allows 3-D images of the mouth to be created. While waiting for the veneers, usually a few week process if manual impressions are taken, patients will receive temporary coverings.
- Once the veneers have been created, dentists can proceed to the third step. During this step, they will check the veneers for proper fit and alignment, and make any small changes that are necessary.
- The fourth step involves further tooth prep that includes applying an acidic gel to the teeth that will create a rough surface.
- Fifth, cement is added between the tooth and the veneer, which is applied with light force. Afterward, the cement is cured with a special light.
Do you think you’re a good candidate for veneers? Contact Winning Smiles today to schedule an appointment!